Wowzers - our 8th dot release for v0.33!
This time we have a bunch of bug fixes and db performance improvements as well as better support for auto-join rooms and the ability for admins to limit who can create rooms aliases.
v0.33.8 also contains more python 3 fixes: we are running most of matrix.org on python 3 as of right now and seeing some pretty impressive performance improvements. Look out for Hawkowl's write up coming soon.
For those interested in what we are working on right now, take a look at our task board.
As ever, you can get the new update here or any of the sources mentioned at https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse. Note, Synapse is now available from PyPI, pick it up here.
Synapse 0.33.8 changelog
- Servers with auto-join rooms will now automatically create those rooms when the first user registers (#3975)
- Add config option to control alias creation (#4051)
- The register_new_matrix_user script is now ported to Python 3. (#4085)
- Configure Docker image to listen on both ipv4 and ipv6. (#4089)
- Fix HTTP error response codes for federated group requests. (#3969)
- Fix issue where Python 3 users couldn't paginate /publicRooms (#4046)
- Fix URL previewing to work in Python 3.7 (#4050)
- synctl will use the right python executable to run worker processes (#4057)
- Manhole now works again on Python 3, instead of failing with a "couldn't match all kex parts" when connecting. (#4060, #4067)
- Fix some metrics being racy and causing exceptions when polled by Prometheus. (#4061)
- Fix bug which prevented email notifications from being sent unless an absolute path was given for
- Correctly account for cpu usage by background threads (#4074)
- Fix race condition where config defined reserved users were not being added to the monthly active user list prior to the homeserver reactor firing up (#4081)
- Fix bug which prevented backslashes being used in event field filters (#4083)
- Add information about the matrix-docker-ansible-deploy playbook (#3698)
- Add initial implementation of new state resolution algorithm (#3786)
- Reduce database load when fetching state groups (#4011)
- Various cleanups in the federation client code (#4031)
- Run the CircleCI builds in docker containers (#4041)
- Only colourise synctl output when attached to tty (#4049)
- Refactor room alias creation code (#4063)
- Make the Python scripts in the top-level scripts folders meet pep8 and pass flake8. (#4068)
- The README now contains example for the Caddy web server. Contributed by steamp0rt. (#4072)
- Add psutil as an explicit dependency (#4073)
- Clean up threading and logcontexts in pushers (#4075)
- Correctly manage logcontexts during startup to fix some "Unexpected logging context" warnings (#4076)
- Give some more things logcontexts (#4077)
- Clean up some bits of code which were flagged by the linter (#4082)