Synapse 0.20.0 was released a few hours ago - this is a major new release with loads of stability and performance fixes and some new features too. The main headlines are:
- Support for using phone numbers as 3rd party identifiers as well as email addresses! This is huge: letting you discover other users on Matrix based on whether they've linked their phone number to their matrix account, and letting you log in using your phone number as your identifier if you so desire. Users of systems like WhatsApp should find this both familiar and useful ;)
- Fixes some very nasty failure modes where the state of a room could be reset if a homeserver received an event it couldn't verify. Folks who have suffered rooms suddenly losing their name/icon/topic should particularly upgrade - this won't fix the rooms retrospectively (your server will need to rejoin the room), but it should fix the problem going forwards.
- Improves the retry schedule over federation significantly - previously there were scenarios where synapse could try to retry aggressively on servers which were offline. This fixes that.
- Significant performance improvements to /publicRooms, /sync, and other endpoints.
- Lots of juicy bug fixes.
Changes in synapse v0.20.0 (2017-04-11)
- Fix joining rooms over federation where not all servers in the room saw the new server had joined (PR #2094)
Changes in synapse v0.20.0-rc1 (2017-03-30)
- Use JSONSchema for validation of filters. Thanks @pik! (PR #1783)
- Reread log config on SIGHUP (PR #1982)
- Speed up public room list (PR #1989)
- Add helpful texts to logger config options (PR #1990)
/syncperformance improvements. (PR #2002, #2013, #2022)
- Add some debug to help diagnose weird federation issue (PR #2035)
- Correctly limit retries for all federation requests (PR #2050, #2061)
- Don't lock table when persisting new one time keys (PR #2053)
- Reduce some CPU work on DB threads (PR #2054)
- Cache hosts in room (PR #2060)
- Batch sending of device list pokes (PR #2063)
- Speed up persist event path in certain edge cases (PR #2070)
- Fix bug where current_state_events renamed to current_state_ids (PR #1849)
- Fix routing loop when fetching remote media (PR #1992)
- Fix current_state_events table to not lie (PR #1996)
- Fix CAS login to handle PartialDownloadError (PR #1997)
- Fix assertion to stop transaction queue getting wedged (PR #2010)
- Fix presence to fallback to last_active_ts if it beats the last sync time. Thanks @Half-Shot! (PR #2014)
- Fix bug when federation received a PDU while a room join is in progress (PR #2016)
- Fix resetting state on rejected events (PR #2025)
- Fix installation issues in readme. Thanks @ricco386 (PR #2037)
- Fix caching of remote servers' signature keys (PR #2042)
- Fix some leaking log context (PR #2048, #2049, #2057, #2058)
- Fix rejection of invites not reaching sync (PR #2056)