Folks, Synapse 0.33.5.1 is here.
0.33.5.1 is an interesting release. On the one hand it contains the usual bug fixes and performance improvements of a point release, but it also our first versioned release where monolith installs can be run under Python 3.5 and 3.6! Python 3 support is very much in beta, so please be cautious but if you would like to try running under a py3 environment we'd love to get your feedback.
We've been running it ourselves for the past few weeks, and feel pretty good about it, not least the 2-3x improvement in RAM usage.
Currently the only way to run under python 3 is to download via github, there is no deb support as yet, though this will come as soon as we are confident to recommend python 3 as the default version.
We'll be blogging about our porting project in more detail in the future, so watch this space - exciting times!
As ever, you can get the new update here or any of the sources mentioned at https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse. Note, for the first time, Synapse is now available from PyPI, pick it up here.
- Fix incompatibility with older Twisted version in tests. Thanks @OlegGirko! (#3940)
- Python 3.5 and 3.6 support is now in beta. (#3576)
event_format filter param in
- Add synapse_admin_mau:registered_reserved_users metric to expose number of real reaserved users (#3846)
- Remove connection ID for replication prometheus metrics, as it creates a large number of new series. (#3788)
- guest users should not be part of mau total (#3800)
- Bump dependency on pyopenssl 16.x, to avoid incompatibility with recent Twisted. (#3804)
- Fix existing room tags not coming down sync when joining a room (#3810)
- Fix jwt import check (#3824)
- fix VOIP crashes under Python 3 (#3821) (#3835)
- Fix manhole so that it works with latest openssh clients (#3841)
- Fix outbound requests occasionally wedging, which can result in federation breaking between servers. (#3845)
- Show heroes if room name/canonical alias has been deleted (#3851)
- Fix handling of redacted events from federation (#3859)
- Mitigate outbound federation randomly becoming wedged (#3875)
- CircleCI tests now run on the potential merge of a PR. (#3704)
- http/ is now ported to Python 3. (#3771)
- Improve human readable error messages for threepid registration/account update (#3789)
- Make /sync slightly faster by avoiding needless copies (#3795)
- handlers/ is now ported to Python 3. (#3803)
- Limit the number of PDUs/EDUs per federation transaction (#3805)
- Only start postgres instance for postgres tests on Travis CI (#3806)
- tests/ is now ported to Python 3. (#3808)
- crypto/ is now ported to Python 3. (#3822)
- rest/ is now ported to Python 3. (#3823)
- add some logging for the keyring queue (#3826)
- speed up lazy loading by 2-3x (#3827)
- Improved Dockerfile to remove build requirements after building reducing the image size. (#3834)
- Disable lazy loading for incremental syncs for now (#3840)
- federation/ is now ported to Python 3. (#3847)
- Log when we retry outbound requests (#3853)
- Removed some excess logging messages. (#3855)
- Speed up purge history for rooms that have been previously purged (#3856)
- Refactor some HTTP timeout code. (#3857)
- Fix running merged builds on CircleCI (#3858)
- Fix typo in replication stream exception. (#3860)
- Add in flight real time metrics for Measure blocks (#3871)
- Disable buffering and automatic retrying in treq requests to prevent timeouts. (#3872)
- mention jemalloc in the README (#3877)
- Remove unmaintained "nuke-room-from-db.sh" script (#3888)