Dept of Spec 📜
Final Comment Period
- MSC2334 - Change default room version to v5
- This one rushed right from new into FCP! Mostly due to it being very non-contentious.
No other new MSCs appeared this week.
MSCs the Spec Core Team are focusing on next week are: MSC2244 (mass redactions), MSC1946 (SSSS), and MSC2313 (ban lists).
Dept of Servers 🏢
Synapse 1.5.0 released
Various updates including a security fix, check the announcement.
Several packaging projects have been updated to deploy the new version:
- matrix-docker-ansible-deploy from Slavi
- Kubernetes from Ananace
- multi-arch synapse docker image from Black Hat
- avhost/docker-matrix and mvgorcum/docker-matrix from Mathijs
Like always the mvgorcum/docker-matrix repo also includes the release candidates, as they were released.
A couple of weeks ago I shouted here about a project I've been working on named Install Party, which provides tools for provisioning and managing servers for Matrix homeserver install workshops/parties.
Since then, I've been working on improving it, and today it's finally reached v1.0! This version includes configurable DNS and infrastructure providers, the ability to create multiple server in one run, user-defined post-install scripts, as well as codebase cleanups and a better documentation.
Dept of Bridges 🌉
Tulir told us:
- Parallelized file transfer: The bridge now has an option to use multiple telegram connections and a streaming connection to the Matrix media repo when copying files. This should make it much faster and use less ram for big files.
- Matrix doesn't have native captions, so
!tg caption <text>now exists to send the next image or file to telegram with
<text>as the caption.
- Animated sticker bridging and helm charts were merged into master.
matrix-appservice-node 0.4.1 released
Bridges-in-nodejs-fans, today we have released 0.4.1 of the matrix-appservice-node library. For those not aware (presumably most), this library is a barebones piece of kit that helps you to listen over the AS api for transactions, in a more barebones manner than
matrix-appservice-bridge. The changes in this release are a total transformation of the library into Typescript, and updating dependency packages which had gotten out of date.
EDIT: I cocked up the release, so have a 0.4.1
matrix-appservice-bridge 1.11.1 released
Dept of Clients 📱
Ditto Chat project announcement
Officially announcing a new mobile client project: Ditto Chat
- Minimum Viable Product is on TestFlight
- Can: login, send / receive messages
- Bare React Native - no Expo
I want Ditto to be a chat app that is user-friendly and performant for the average user, rivaling apps like GroupMe, Messenger, and WhatsApp.
Later on, I want Ditto to have a desktop / browser version and be stable enough for regular use.
CONTRIBUTORS: I would love to have some help on Ditto if anybody is looking for a side project! Join #ditto:elequin.io for updates.
More photos: http://dittochat.org
Check out the room at #ditto:elequin.io.
Miitrix has received some updates!
- Save state and resume when starting up - no need for an initial sync each time anymore!
- Send read receipts
- Send typing notifications
- Remove HTTPC and only use CURL to add support for servers that don't have TLS1.1 anymore! And way faster!
Miitrix was featured as a star attraction at MozFest last weekend, thanks Soru!
Continuum, desktop client in Kotlin, version 0.9.27:
Added notification viewer.
Alexandre Franke told us:
#matrix-client-developers:matrix.org has been revived, intended for discussion between developers of different Matrix clients.
This is the room to head to for Matrix Client developer chat.
Version 0.1.2 update brings a major overhaul of the user interface. The main features are:
- A new sign in dialog (with password authentication. No access tokens!)
- Those who are already signed in will stay signed in
- Also created a Matrix Notepad logo
- Technically, a single Matrix client is used instead of re-creating it each time a new document is opened
- This makes document loading faster
- Added a document list and an add button
- Added the document room ID to the URL
- Fixed various bugs that have been encountered. Maybe I can finally say that it's bug-free!
Riot v1.5.1-rc.1 is up on https://riot.im/staging with a collection of bugfixes, some further a11y fixes and... a new reaction picker from tulir!
Dept of Bots 🤖
anoa told us:
I made a bot that can give you links to TV show episodes that get mentioned in rooms: https://github.com/anoadragon453/matrix-episode-bot
It's not as cool as it sounds. Basically you put all the titles and links in a config file and whenever someone says e.g "I really like S05E09", it'll give you the name of that episode and a link to it. You can also just mention an episode title and it'll give you the link.
Made with nio-template.
Dept of Ping 🏓
That's all I know 🏁
See you next week, and be sure to stop by #twim:matrix.org with your updates!