Synapse 1.43.0 is out now!
Preparing for Spaces
Quite a lot of work has gone into preparing for Spaces to graduate from beta testing. For example, Synapse now:
- Asks clients to prefer room version 9 when creating restricted rooms (#10772), via the API defined in MSC3244: room version capabilities.
- Allows the Spaces Summary APIs to be handled by worker processes.
- Omits rooms with unknown room versions from the Spaces Summary.
- Properly handles upgrades of Spaces to different room versions.
This release of Synapse also:
- Includes initial work toward fully supporting oEmbed for embedding URL previews (#10714, #10759).
- Slightly speeds up room joins over federation (#10754, #10755, #10756, #10780, #10784).
- Somewhat improves service restart times for large Synapse deployments.
- Significantly refactors federation event authentication code for greater clarity (#10744, #10745, #10746, #10771, #10773, #10781).
- Adds further static type hints to various modules.
We've also spent quite a lot of time on SyTest, our integration test suite. In particular, many of the tests made assumptions about event processing which were not correct when targeting a multi-worker Synapse deployment. These flakey tests have plagued our continuous integration pipelines, and are finally being fixed.
These are just the highlights; please see the Release Notes for a complete list of changes in this release.
Synapse is a Free and Open Source Software project, and we'd like to extend our thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, including AndrewFerr, BramvdnHeuvel, and cuttingedge1109.