Matrix Live 🎙
This week was very busy and we unfortunately didn't have the time to record a Matrix Live. Everything will be back to normal next week!
Dept of Spec 📜
Andrew Morgan (anoa) says
Here's your weekly spec update! The heart of Matrix is the specification - and this is modified by Matrix Spec Change (MSC) proposals. Learn more about how the process works at https://matrix.org/docs/spec/proposals.
MSCs in Final Comment Period:
- No MSCs are in FCP.
- No MSCs were merged this week.
The big news from the spec
thislast week is the release of Matrix v1.3 🎉 (read the blog post if you haven't already)! Roughly three months since the release of Matrix v1.2, this release brings improvements such as knocking on rooms, room version 10, reduced metadata in encrypted messages and the first pieces of aggregations finally landing in the spec proper. And more! See the blog post for the full changelog.
Random MSC of the Week
This MSC allows for differentiating between different incoming streams of media coming from a single user by adding a
sdp_stream_metadatadictionary to Voice over IP (VoIP)-related events. This is a relatively simply addition with useful functionality, such as allowing a single user to share both their camera feed and screen share at the same time!
Check it out if that kind of stuff interests you!
Dept of Servers 🏢
Conduit is a simple, fast and reliable chat server powered by Matrix
Timo ⚡️ reports
Conduit v0.4.0 just came out and fixes all the problems you were having* and more! Read the changelog on https://conduit.rs/changelog
Dept of Clients 📱
Element iOS (website)
Secure and independent communication for iOS, connected via Matrix. Come talk with us in #element-ios:matrix.org!
- Live Location Sharing will be available in Labs in the next release.
- There has been a focus on bug fixes for Element iOS this week. Some highlights include:
- Making sender avatars tappable again when using Message Bubbles layout.
- Opened images are no longer cropped when multitasking on iPad.
- It is now much easier to tap the first message below a sender’s name when using the plain timeline layout.
- And on the ElementX side:
- Message Bubbles were added as the default timeline style.
- The Settings screen is now starting to take shape.
- Theming applied to most of the other screens using our colour palette.
Element Android (website)
Secure and independent communication for Android, connected via Matrix. Come talk with us in #element-android:matrix.org!
- 1.4.24 released to beta testers which includes support for UnifiedPush and fixes for voice recordings and duplicated messages in the timeline
- We're making it easier to opt in to Live Location Sharing by displaying the labs setting within the location sharing flow, no need to hunt down the setting anymore!
- We have also fixed some outstanding crashes around opening large images in the timeline and signing out
Dept of Non Chat Clients 🎛️
Populus Viewer (website)
A Social Annotation Tool Powered by Matrix
Over the last few weeks we've:
- improved interactions around file uploads
- improved the look of file messages
- reworked the login design
- added topic configuration to room settings
- added previews of room name and topic in tooltips for room icons
- added handling for an eventId component of annotation URLs
Along with a number of other minor bugfixes and UX improvements. And, we've added one neat new user-facing feature: inline previews of video and audio annotations. This one is a little hard to explain, but a video is worth ten thousand words:
Dept of SDKs and Frameworks 🧰
A set of Rust library crates for working with the Matrix protocol. Ruma’s approach to Matrix emphasizes correctness, security, stability and performance.
Jonas Platte announces
Over the last month since the last update, we
Released Ruma 0.6.4 with a bug fix for rich reply fallback generation
Added support for pretty much everything from Matrix 1.3, which was to a large extent just the removal of feature flags for previously-unstable functionality
- Thanks to @zecakeh for both implementing most of these features and now stabilizing them in Ruma!
Improved the still somewhat experimental state resolution implementation used by Conduit (not yet merged):
Got a community contribution for
X-Matrixauthorization header parsing (taken from Conduit and improved; not yet merged)
Added methods to sanitize messages (not yet merged)
Matrix Client-Server SDK for Rust
Jonas Platte says
This week, we
Dept of Ping 🏓
Join #ping:maunium.net to experience the fun live, and to find out how to add YOUR server to the game.
Join #ping-no-synapse:maunium.net to experience the fun live, and to find out how to add YOUR server to the game.
That's all I know 🏁
See you next week, and be sure to stop by #twim:matrix.org with your updates!